-- Last revised 11/12/02 --
Trust Rules of Construction - Study L-605
The Commission surveyed the existing
Probate Code rules of construction for wills, trusts, and other estate
planning instruments, which have been criticized in recent years as
being overly broad. The Commission concluded that several of the rules should be limited in
their application. A number should be repealed because they restate the
common law (but do so in an incomplete fashion), because they
repeat other statutes, or because they unduly inhibit the ability of the
court to ascertain the donor's intent. The Commission also recommended further clarifications of
existing statutes and improvements in terminology, and correction of statutes containing
obsolete references to former law. The Commission's recommendation was enacted by the Legislature.
If you have questions or comments on this study, send an e-mail to Brian Hebert at email@example.com.
2002: Assembly Bill 1784 (Harman) -- Bill information at Legislative Counsel's website
Enacted. 2002 Cal. Stat. ch. 138
- Recommendation -- Rules of Construction for Trusts and Other Instruments (11/15/2001)
Tentative Recommendations and Other Requests for Comment
- Tentative Rec. -- Rules of Construction for Trusts and Other Instruments (March 2001)
- Memo 2001-85, Supp. 1 -- Rules of Construction for Trusts (Draft of Recommendation) (11/14/2001)
- Memo 2001-85 -- Rules of Construction for Trusts (Draft of Recommendation) (11/8/2001)
- Memo 2001-62, Supp. 1 -- Rules of Construction for Trusts (Additional Comments on Tentative Recommendation) (9/14/2001)
- Memo 2001-62 -- Rules of Construction for Trusts (Comments on Tentative Recommendation) (8/31/2001)
- Memo 2001-26 -- Rules of Construction for Trusts: Draft Tentative Recommendation (3/2/2001)
- Memo 2000-87, Supp. 1 -- Rules of Construction for Trusts (State Bar Comments) (12/13/2000)
- Memo 2000-87 -- Rules of Construction for Trusts (Discussion of Issues) (11/22/2000)
- Memo 2000-75 -- Rules of Construction for Trusts (Consultant's Study) (8/22/2000)
- Memo 2000-50 -- Rules of Construction for Trusts (Consultant's Study) (7/6/2000)
- Background Study -- Rules of Construction: Probate Code Sections 21101-21140; Prof. William McGovern (March 2000)
Every message sent to you under this subscription will include instructions on how to unsubscribe.
Your email address will not be shared with any other person or group.