◄◄ Note: The Committee on Revision of the Penal Code is currently recruiting for an experienced attorney with demonstrated interest in criminal law and policy. To apply, visit this link and follow all instructions. ►►
The recommendations are:
- Eliminate incarceration and reduce fines and fees for certain traffic offenses.
- Require that short prison sentences be served in county jails.
- End mandatory minimum sentences for nonviolent offenses.
- Establish that low-value thefts without serious injury or use of a weapon are misdemeanors.
- Provide guidance for judges considering sentence enhancements.
- Limit gang enhancements to the most dangerous offenses.
- Retroactively apply sentence enhancements previously repealed by the Legislature.
- Equalize custody credits for people who committed the same offenses, regardless of where or when they are incarcerated.
- Clarify parole suitability standards to focus on risk of future violent or serious offenses.
- Establish judicial process for “second look” resentencing.
Information about the Committee's work can be found through the navigational menu (above) or by using the site map (below).